Australian scientists use soybean oil to create graphene

February 1, 2017 from BBC World News Australian scientists have turned ordinary cooking oil into graphene, in a discovery they say lowers its cost to produce. Graphene, a strong carbon material, is just one atom wide and conducts electricity better than copper. It was discovered at the University of Manchester in 2004, winning its inventors…
Continue Reading »

Posted in Process Safety | Tagged , | Comments Off on Australian scientists use soybean oil to create graphene

Brazil fire: Explosion unleashes toxic gas in Santos

January 15, 2016,  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35320083 Wouldn’t it be a great improvement if Process Safety Management were implemented and followed the world over? A huge explosion at a port in Brazil has many people in the area confined inside until the fire burns out and the toxic dust settles. The BBC report is that “A spokeswoman for…
Continue Reading »

Posted in Process Safety Management | Tagged | Comments Off on Brazil fire: Explosion unleashes toxic gas in Santos

Again proving why machine guarding is critical to protecting worker safety

The printing industry is not viewed as a highly hazardous environment. But rotating machines coupled with frequent jamming issues, then people tend to put their hands and other body parts where they don’t belong. This envelope manufacturing company had several incidents which lead to serious hand injury and amputations. Upon inspection OSHA sited them for…
Continue Reading »

Posted in Machine Safety | Tagged | Comments Off on Again proving why machine guarding is critical to protecting worker safety

Yet Another Nightclub Fire – Overcrowded and Pyrotechnic Display Gone Wrong

A nightclub fire in Romina last night killed 32 and injured over 180 in an overcrowded venue with insufficient exits and a rock band setting off pyrotechnics inside the club. (Read More) This is reminiscent of the 2003 Station Nightclub Fire in Rhode Island, USA. That incident killed 100 and injured 230 with similar circumstances. A band…
Continue Reading »

Posted in Life Safety | Tagged , | Comments Off on Yet Another Nightclub Fire – Overcrowded and Pyrotechnic Display Gone Wrong