Title Photo by Juanita Miller
October 18, 2016
EPA Begins $3M Cleanup at Site of California Magnesium Fire
From the Associated Press
“… a metal-recycling plant containing 10,000 pounds of magnesium shavings. The magnesium erupted in fireball-like explosions when firefighters poured water on the flames. Crews had to use a dry chemical extinguishing agent.” Read More
September 22, 2016
What a button battery can do to a child’s throat
From BBC News “Medical correspondent Fergus Walsh demonstrates what can happen if a button battery gets lodged in a child’s throat, after a warning from surgeons over the dangers.”
September 15, 2016
There’s growing demand for women’s PPE
Excerpted from ISHN website: “Today, the number of women holding industrial occupations has continued to grow and so has the need to ensure that female workers have PPE that fits correctly. In fact, according to a 2014 report by the American Petroleum Institute, women account for approximately 19 percent of employment in the oil, gas and petrochemical industry. Women also comprise 22.4 percent of the total employment in the utilities industry, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.
Seeing this growing demand for women-specific clothing in industrial professions, FR clothing manufacturers have made dramatic improvements to women’s lines.” (Read the entire story)
August 5, 2016
Pollution Control at a Substantial Profit – Pioneer Energy
Learn why flares next to oil drills are disappearing.
You likely have seen them: bright flames next to newly developed oil wells. For years, valuable gas has simply been going into the atmosphere because it’s been deemed too challenging to convert to use. That is until now. Read More and Watch this Video
August 1, 2016
Hydraulic Maintenance and Safety Guidebook
New! Just added to the page Documents and Forms/Guides and Books is a handy guidebook for Hydraulic Maintenance and Safety. If you work with hydraulic hoses, you will appreciate the background on hose construction, couplings, hose routing, assembly and inspection among other topics. A PDF file for this book can be found at:
July 19, 2016
Machine Guarding Incident: Worker dies while servicing operating coal elevator
The death of a Tonawanda Coke Corp. employee who was pulled into the rotating shaft of a coal elevator on Jan. 6, 2016, could have been prevented, an inspection by OSHA’s Buffalo Area Office has determined.
As he prepared to grease and lubricate the elevator, the worker’s jacket was caught, pulling the man onto the rotating shaft. OSHA determined that the employer neither shut down the elevator at the River Road plant in Tonawanda nor locked out its power source, as required by OSHA’s hazardous energy-control, or lockout/tagout, standard. They also found the company failed to train employees on how to use energy-control procedures.
“Training employees on lockout procedures and ensuring those procedures are used would have prevented this needless loss of a worker’s life,” said Michael Scime, OSHA’s area director in Buffalo. “Compounding this tragedy is the disturbing fact that OSHA cited Tonawanda Coke in the past for not following the requirements of the lockout standard. Yet, the company exposed both the victim and another employee who greased and lubricated plant equipment to these same hazards. This is unacceptable. It is Tonawanda Coke’s responsibility to eliminate these hazards once and for all and protect its employees.” (Read More)
June 14, 2016 from BBC news.com
Amazon faces fine for shipping corrosive drain cleaner
Online retailer Amazon is facing a $350,000 (£247,000) fine for allegedly shipping hazardous chemicals that injured delivery workers.
The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) proposed the fine, accusing the firm of breaching rules by sending a corrosive drain cleaner by air.
Nine UPS employees complained of burns after handling the package after the substance leaked, the authority said. Amazon said it would work with the FAA to improve its processes.
According to the authority, Amazon sent a package containing a one-gallon container of the corrosive drain cleaner “Amazing! LIQUID FIRE” from Kentucky to Colorado via UPS in October 2014.
…It was not clear how many times Amazon had paid fines or admitted responsibility because the FAA does not announce fines of less than $50,000, a spokesman for the authority told Reuters. The company did pay $91,000 in April 2014 for an incident the previous year in which its employees improperly shipped flammable liquid adhesive. (Read More)
Struck By Accidents can Happen to Anyone! See the story about the latest Star Wars Movie …
Star Wars prosecuted over Harrison Ford injury
February 11, 2016 http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35551372
The actor was struck by a hydraulic metal door on the Pinewood set of the Millennium Falcon in June 2014.
The Health And Safety Executive has brought four criminal charges against Foodles Production (UK) Ltd – a subsidiary of Disney.
Foodles Production said it was “disappointed” by the HSE’s decision.
Following the incident, Ford was airlifted to hospital for surgery.
Following an investigation, the HSE said it believed there was sufficient evidence about the incident which left Ford with serious injuries, to bring four charges relating to alleged health and safety breaches.
A spokesperson added: “By law, employers must take reasonable steps to protect workers – this is as true on a film set as a factory floor.” Read More
New York crane collapse kills at least one person
February 8, 2016
The Fire Department of New York confirmed the fatality and is on the scene responding to the accident.
The collapse happened along West Broadway early on Friday morning in the Tribeca neighbourhood.
The downed crane, which filled the street, fell onto numerous parked cars.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said the victim was sitting in a parked car at the time of the accident, and that it was caused by high winds.
Workers were in the process of lowering the crane due to the high winds when it collapsed. No workers were injured. Read More…
The Case of the Non-Electric Sign Electrocution
Jun 19, 2015 Sarosh Patel and Lawrence Hmurcik | Electrical Construction and Maintenance
When a four-man crew took on the installation of two non-electric advertising signs for an automobile repair shop, the threat of electrical hazards seemed virtually nonexistent. Ironically, though, it was electricity that ultimately turned the day into a tragedy — only two workers walked away from the job unscathed, a third suffered serious injuries, and a fourth lost his life.
Setting the stage
During the process of putting up two non-electric advertising signs that were approximately 30 ft long, 4 ft wide, and positioned approximately 15 ft above ground, the crew bolted the first sign in place piece by piece without incident. Bolting the second sign in place in the same fashion, the workers installed it on the side of the building near a 13kV utility line that serviced businesses in the neighborhood.
Because the elevated position of the signs, the workers used a 1975 Ford bucket truck with a boom attached. One man (on the ground) operated the boom in which another was standing. He called out instructions to his partner to make sign adjustments here and there before advising him to securely bolt it into the building’s concrete/cinder block wall. A third man was positioned on the roof on which the sign was being mounted. His job was to feed the installer pieces of the sign as well as bolts, hardware, and tools. Read More …
Safety News from 01/15/16
Brazil fire: Explosion unleashes toxic gas in Santos
January 15, 2016, http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35320083
Wouldn’t it be a great improvement if Process Safety Management were implemented and followed the world over? A huge explosion at a port in Brazil has many people in the area confined inside until the fire burns out and the toxic dust settles. The BBC report is that “A spokeswoman for the company, which exports chemicals used for refrigeration and general cargo, said the containers were filled with chloric acid and sodium dichloroisocyanurate – a cleaning and disinfectant agent.” and “Firefighters said rainwater had seeped into the containers causing a chemical reaction.” Read more:
Safety News from 01/02/16
Again proving why machine guarding is critical to protecting worker safety
The printing industry is not viewed as a highly hazardous environment. But rotating machines coupled with frequent jamming issues, then people tend to put their hands and other body parts where they don’t belong. This envelope manufacturing company had several incidents which lead to serious hand injury and amputations. Upon inspection OSHA sited them for both willful and serious violations for failing to protect employees from injury and leading to a hefty fine. Read more:
Safety News from 11/04/15
Yet Another Nightclub Fire – Overcrowded and Pyrotechnic Display Gone Wrong
A nightclub fire in Romina last night killed 32 and injured over 180 in an overcrowded venue with insufficient exits and a rock band setting off pyrotechnics inside the club. (Read More) This is reminiscent of the 2003 Station Nightclub Fire in Rhode Island, USA. That incident killed 100 and injured 230 with similar circumstances. A band was using pyrotechnics on the stage and sparks ignited wall coverings. Remarkably the fire built very fast leaving the fans very little time to escape. It was later discovered that several of the exits at the nightclub in Rhode Island were blocked to prevent people slipping in without paying. Hence several exits were not available when needed. This shows that everyone should be diligent in surveying the surroundings when attending public functions. Identify where the exits are and don’t delay making an exit if something bad is occurring. Video footage from the Station Nightclub Fire (warning graphic)